Monday, October 5, 2009

Being Cheerful in Times of Trouble

The Bible is very clear that in the last days there will be much trial and tribulation. A quick reading of Matthew 24 is enough to worry a person, and reading the books of Daniel, Joel, and Revelation can give you nightmares.

How can someone avoid being caught up in panic, anxiety attacks, and depression concerning the end times spoken of in the scriptures?

A positive mental attitude can go a long way in keeping a more cheerful perspective. This can be difficult when times get rough. I know, because I went through a horrible time when my nine-year-old daughter died unexpectedly back in 2002. I am fortunate because my faith in God was strong enough that I did not question Him and get angry at Him for taking Brianna back home. I could have easily done that. Some of my sisters and their children took it much harder. I knew there was a plan, even if I didn't know what the plan was.

Not everyone is called to experience the death of a child. Some have even greater burdens to endure. But we all can turn to our Heavenly Father for strength and comfort in the hard times. According to Isaiah, He is waiting with open arms, willing to gather us under His wings as a mother hen does to her chicks. Imagine how cozy that must be, but we have to be humble and willing to submit to the events that befall us in life. We expect our children to obey us when we ask them to perform some chore, even if they hate it. Why should we be surprised that God expects the same of us?

Through our faith and obedience, God can bless us as we endure our trials. Whether or not we ask for that comfort is up to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment